If you are like myself, who was very much looking forward to the new Maps application, and was deeply disappointed by the Maps app, there is alternatives. Not only is there an alternative, but it is FREE!
Apple advertised the turn by turn navigation, which is a standard on all android devices. What actually turned out happening, was that Apple only pushed the turn by turn feature to the iPhone 4s, and the new iPhone 5. I didn’t learn of this until after already upgrading (drag). However, MapQuest offers a FREE turn-by-turn Application with voice navigation, and it works Great.
Bing also has an application where you can use their Maps within the app that have the birds eye view, which is very similar to Apple’s 3D maps.
Don’t be incredibly disappointed about iOS6 maps, there is a solution! Let me know if you have heard of anything else, or if you are using another app that you recommend!
I’m sure I am not the only one having this issue, but have yet to find anyone reporting it online. I was receiving Error 3004 when upgrading to iOS6.
This can mean a few things:
- Apple’s servers are swamped due to the rush of people looking to upgrade; try it again in a few minutes.
- You are using an outdated version of iTunes. This was my issue. Although iTunes prompted me to upgrade my phone and let me download iOS6, when the progress got all the way to the end, it failed the upgrade. As soon as I updated iTunes to version 10.7, I was able to successfully upgrade to iOS6.
Another error I received: “( ERROR ) An unknown error occurred (6)”
- This one actually stumped me, and got me stuck in recovery mode. I made sure my hosts file wasn’t blocking Apple’s servers (through TinyUmbrella; sometimes the Hosts file is set to use cydia’s host)
- I was upgrading from a jailbroken iOS 5.1.1 – Every time a New OS comes out, it is always in your best interest to do a full restore.
- As soon as I did the full restore, I was able to get it working.
With iOS6 launching just says away, there is much anticipation for a jailbreak for iOS6. As of right now, iOS6 GM is able to be jailbroken via a tethered jailbreak. It is a good sign for the device down the road as far as a fully untethered jailbreak, but it certainly won’t be available for when the device launches.
A couple of things I recommend prior to the iOS6 launch:
- Backup your SHSH for your phone, using TinyUmbrella
- If you decide to upgrade to iOS to see all of the new features, but you decide you want to downgrade to iOS 5.1.1, having your SHSH keys backed up is the only way you will be able to accomplish this.
- Decide whether or not the features of iOS6 are worth giving up those from your jailbroken iOS5.
- Those new features in iOS 6 include: Passbook, Facetime over 3G, Updated Phone App, Updated Mail App, Updated Safari App, New Apple Maps, Facebook Integration and much more.